Always be aware of the following before entering the water:
- Check the condition of the boat and equipment
- Check the weather forecast for the sea
- Check locally concerning dangerous currents, strong tides etc.
- Do not drink alcohol while setting out or during your trip
- Carry and alternative means of propulsion (spare oar)
- Carry a first aid kit on board and distress signals
- Carry a hand bailer or bucket with lanyard
- Carry a marine radio or some means of communication with shore
- Do not overload the boat – this will make it unstable
- Do not set out unless accompanied by an experienced person
- Leave details of your planned trip with someone ashore including departure and arrival times, description of boat, names of persons on board etc.
- Wear a personal flotation device at all times
- Keep an eye on the weather – seek shelter in good time
- Marine emergencies call 999 or 112 and ask for marine Rescue